Monday, March 3, 2008

BYUSA

My roommate is very active in the BYUSA elections. She's helping with a campaign, she's getting involved, and she's actively encouraging everyone to vote. She tells us why it's important and what they can do for us; she is very supportive.

I'm glad that she is so excited about all of this and wants to get involved... but I really want to say, "Hey. Take a step back. You think I'm a crazy person to get so interested in the primaries; you laugh at my caucus parties, you groan when I spend all night watching CNN, you are baffled by my constant checking of polls and numbers and editorials. But why am I crazy to care so much about the election of the next president of the United States? Why don't you care? Why can't you have as much involvement in our country's future -- vote in your state primaries! -- as you have in BYU?"

There are so many people on this campus who care so much about the leadership here, but why, why can't they care about the country? People don't think it matters until the general election, and the general is important, very important. But the primaries are such a vital part of the general election, and no one ever pays nearly as much attention as they ought. I cannot understand. Tomorrow is potentially the biggest day of the year, even bigger than Super Tuesday. If Hillary loses she could be out -- and a general election between Barack Obama and John McCain could be one of the most interesting elections between any two candidates in the history of this country. But there are hundreds, thousands of people who don't understand or don't care.

Apathy, like agnosticism, is something I can't stand.